A house is a safe haven that protects your family from harsh weather and provides security. Compromising your family with the use of poor-quality roofing solutions can be costly and risky too. That’s why it's advisable to use good quality roofing services and ensure you obtain good workmanship. Getting roofing repairs every now and then is a costly affair.
To avoid all the hassles that can increase your expenses, it's good to strictly hire a professional roofing contractor. However, selecting the best contractor is not as easy as you might think. Remember that if you really want to attain your goals, invest in a reputable roofing contractor.
This article will give you a step-by-step guide on how to select one.
- Looking for a roofing contractor. Word of mouth is always the best method of acquiring accurate details of a contractor. Friends, family & relatives, colleagues, and neighbors can be a great source of information. Ask them about the roofing contractor they’ve used in the past. They will be more than willing to assist you. Most roofing companies list the best roofers on their websites. This is also a great source. Preferably, choose the one who has good positive reviews from the clients. Other excellent sources are Better Business Bureau, yellow pages, local trading associations, local licensing authorities, and the local building materials suppliers.
- License Verification. Check if he has a license and if yes, check whether it's up-to-date. This can be done by contacting the license board. The contractors’ website is also another great source where you can check the type of licensing required for roofing contractors.
- Ask for his identification documents. He should prove that he is legal by giving you his business address, tax identification number, or his phone number.
- Check if he has an Insurance cover. The insurance should include a worker’s compensation and liability coverage. It's not a good idea to hire an uninsured contractor.
- Ask for Referrals. Referrals are those people that the contractor has worked for in the past. If he is more than willing to give them to you, then it should be a good sign that he is enthusiastic about the job offer.
- Evaluate his Credibility. You can get this information from his company to verify his work performance and his previous completed job records.
- Ask whether he is familiar with the latest technology. He should have good knowledge about the latest roofing materials, tools and equipment, and new installation methods. Get to know what materials and equipment will be used during the installation. Research about them and rate their quality. Remember that poor quality materials and tools used can compromise the whole project and more so, you can possibly lose a lot of money.
- Ask for Roof Evaluation. He should provide you with clear details of the overall project and the possible cost. This should include the material quantity, cost, and payments.
Sign the Contract
This should only be done after you are satisfied that you have the right person for the job. Most importantly, read and understand the agreement before signing. The contract should contain information about warranties, products to be used, roofers, pricing, and safety information.
No matter how you chose to do the selection process, ensure that you get the best of the best roofers.
Subscribe to Dr. Roof's Blog