Home Firework Safety

Many people will choose to forego professional fireworks displays at crowded parks and malls and celebrate Independence Day at home. These celebrations may include DIY fireworks displays. Whether you are partial to shells, sparklers, spinners, or sky flyers, the safety of your body, your children, and your home should be the number one priority.

The Consumer Products and Safety Commission recommends the following tips to keep yourself and your children safe when using fireworks at home:

  • Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
  • Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
  • Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
  • Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
  • Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
  • Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
  • Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
  • Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
  • Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
  • Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.

Dr Roof recommends these five tips to keep your home safe when using fireworks:

  • Clean your gutters. According to firefighters, doing this offers your roof the most protection from fire. Gutters clogged with pine needles, dry leaves, or other material can easily ignite if a spark lands on them.
  • Use your sprinklers in both the front yard and back yard. Keeping your grass and landscaping damp will help put out any lit material that may appear.
  • Pick up any dead leaves or other dry material from your property, particularly anything close to your home, shed, or garage.
  • If you have bark, mulch, or wood chips around your home be sure to water it. These materials can hide and protect a spark for hours before a fire grows.
  • If you suspect any roof or siding damage due to fireworks, call Dr. Roof for your free home inspection!